Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

RE: Create cortical shell around vertebra

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Arthur,

I assume that you are trying to create a domain of finite thickness just outside of the part, as opposed to using shell elements.

If that understanding is correct, and since your geometry comes from a step file, we would typically recommend that you create that finite thickness entity in the CAD package.

If that is not possible, and if your license includes the Design Module, you could try and use an axymmetric Thicken operation.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller

1 Reply Last Post Mar 14, 2020, 11:49 a.m. EDT
Arthur Biomedical Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 14, 2020, 11:49 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Mar 14, 2020, 11:49 a.m. EDT

Hello,

I have imported a STEP file with the geometry of a human vertebra in COMSOL (see upload below), and I would like to create a corticall shell (0.2 mm) around all boundaries of the geometry. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this in COMSOL?

Thank you very much!

-------------------
Avk
Hello, I have imported a STEP file with the geometry of a human vertebra in COMSOL (see upload below), and I would like to create a corticall shell (0.2 mm) around all boundaries of the geometry. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this in COMSOL? Thank you very much!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.