Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Terminal velocity question

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to set up a simple test problem. A solid sphere falling through water, accelerating until it reaches terminal velocity. I am a fairly new user so I apologise in advance if I missed something obvious

My plan was to calculate the accelaration by subtracting the drag force on the sphere at the previous time step from the gravitational acceleration. Use the accelaration and the time step length to increment inlet flow velocity. repeat until acceleration equals zero.

I have set up the flow around the sphere no problem. I can calulate the drag force no problem. I am just a bit stuck on how to get the previous time step drag force.

I calculate drag by integrating spf.T_stressy over the sphere surface. I have been trying to figure out how to use the prev command. I have added the domain ODE to my component. I am just stuck on what to set the ODE to and then how to use the result of the ODE to calculate last time step drag. Any guidance would be welcomed.

Is there an easier way to calculate this? Am I taking the correct approach?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2 Replies Last Post Jul 20, 2020, 9:18 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tim Tilford

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 4 years ago Jul 20, 2020, 5:09 a.m. EDT

Could you please share the mph file? Then I can have a look deeply in your model.

Could you please share the mph file? Then I can have a look deeply in your model.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Jul 20, 2020, 9:18 a.m. EDT

This model of a falling sand grain is very similar to what you are proposing to model.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
[This model ](https://www.comsol.com/model/terminal-falling-velocity-of-a-sand-grain-983) of a falling sand grain is very similar to what you are proposing to model. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.