Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with using both CPUs

Seyyed Moein Razavi Borghei

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have recently bought a workstation with two Xeon Gold CPUs each having 16 cores (expecting to speed up the simulation!). When I use only one CPU and 16 cores (by going to Preferences>Multicore and cluster computing), the computational time is 43 seconds and 32% is utilized during simulation. However, when I choose to use both sockets and all cores, the computational time rises to 47 seconds while utilization rate of CPU is 65% during the simulation!!

I would appreciate if someone could help me with this incosistency.

1 Reply Last Post Apr 12, 2020, 10:31 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Apr 12, 2020, 10:31 a.m. EDT

It depends on the model if many cores or a dual/multiple cpu machine provides a benefit. The additional overhead can even slow down the computation.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
It depends on the model if many cores or a dual/multiple cpu machine provides a benefit. The additional overhead can even slow down the computation.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.