Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to deal with penestration during contact

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, coworkers! I have modeled a capacitance sensor with 1 top electrode and 4 bottom electrodes (Fig 1). The sensor is placed on a substrate, and a stick is going to contact and press it from the top. I have used to Solid Mechanics interface to do the stationary study.

I set a contact pair between stick and top electrode, and fix the position of the substrate. However, the dielectric material, which is between top and bottom electrode, will be squeezed into the interval of bottom electrodes and 'penestrate through the substrate'(Fig 2). This penestration won't happen in real world and is unwanted in the simulation.

As I know, the contact pair can define a pair of boundaries which can not penestrate each other, and I have tried to create a pair between dielectric and substrate. However, after many trials, the penestration still remains to be solved.

Could someone tell me how should i do with this situation? Sincerely thanks!

0 Replies Last Post Apr 29, 2020, 7:26 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello A.C Luwha

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.