Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Max/Min point and Maximum data set do not work properly

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have interpreted power system in the 2D axis coordinates and used max/min without doubt about this function.

In this time analysis, the field was focused on the triple point when visually checked But maxpoint indicates elsewhere. I checked the triple point separately, and could confirm that it also greater than max point. Also, the value of the maximum data set was less than the value confirmed by a separate point.

I checked the electric field with ec.normE Am I mistaken about the max or field function?

2 Replies Last Post May 5, 2020, 3:38 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago May 4, 2020, 10:18 a.m. EDT

Hi,

This is probably a question about averaging. The max value in a point is computed as the maximum of the average of the domains meeting at the point.

The same is true for point graph, for example.

A surface plot, however, will not (by default) make such an averaging. You can also see this if you use a Max/Min Surface plot, which is a better choice in your case.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, This is probably a question about averaging. The max value in a point is computed as the maximum of the average of the domains meeting at the point. The same is true for point graph, for example. A surface plot, however, will not (by default) make such an averaging. You can also see this if you use a Max/Min Surface plot, which is a better choice in your case.

Posted: 4 years ago May 5, 2020, 3:38 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago May 5, 2020, 3:38 a.m. EDT

Hi Henrik, thank you for your help. The problem was solved by using Max/Min Surface plot.

Also, the problem of maximum data set was solved in the same way. At first it's Geometry level was set to 'Take from data set (sol1)'. I changed this to Surface and then the problem was solved.

Thank you for your help again.

Hi Henrik, thank you for your help. The problem was solved by using Max/Min Surface plot. Also, the problem of maximum data set was solved in the same way. At first it's Geometry level was set to 'Take from data set (sol1)'. I changed this to Surface and then the problem was solved. Thank you for your help again.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.