Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating temperature difference in (thermally-thick) thin film

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In my model, I have a Pt bar through which current runs. The Pt bar is placed on top of a thin film of thickness 2 nm, and width x depth = 5 mm x 5 mm. The thin film is placed on top of a block of another material that has dimensions 5mm x 5mm x 0.5 mm. The current through the Pt bar creates joule heating. This induced a temperature gradient in the film and the substrate. I modelled the film as a thermally thick approximation thin film. I want to compute two things: 1) The temperature profile in the z-direction inside the thin film at a specific point in the xy-plane. 2) The temperature difference between the top and the bottom of the film along a slice (i.e. a 2 dimensional cut, for example, through the middle of the Pt bar (see slice 2 in Temperature (ht) in Results).

I tried to determine the first one using: atxd1(2.5[mm], 2.5[mm], 0[mm], ht.T), however this expression doesn't seem to work. I tried to plot this in Line graph 1 in a 1D Plot group.

Does anybody know how to plot 1 and 2? I'd appreciate it so much!! Thank you!

Edit: I had to remove all my results to have the file smaller than the allowed 5mb.

0 Replies Last Post May 17, 2020, 3:00 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Wissem Boubaker

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.