Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Computations in void

Иван Иванович Иванов

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I'm junior in COMSOL and try to compute electrical potential of electrodes between these electrodes on cross-plane in vacuum chamber. Vacuum in this chamber is very high. The question is how to compute potetial between two cylinders? Did I need to create a some space (sphere around electrodes for example) with air material with low pressure and then compute and then plot on needed plane? If I try to plot without surrounding air sphere COMSOL says that plot is empty. If I create a sphere, then COMSOL creates a lot of unnecessary mesh elemets and computation time is greatly increasing.

Thanks!

3 Replies Last Post May 19, 2020, 7:30 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago May 19, 2020, 6:25 a.m. EDT

Ivan,

the void is not empty in electromagnetics, there are the fields. You need to mesh the space if you want to use a finite element method. If your problem is purely electrostatic, without currents and magnetic fields you might consider to use the Electrostatics, Boundary Elements interface. This avoids to mesh the void, but increases mesh expenses on the boundaries.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Ivan, the void is not empty in electromagnetics, there are the fields. You need to mesh the space if you want to use a finite element method. If your problem is purely electrostatic, without currents and magnetic fields you might consider to use the Electrostatics, Boundary Elements interface. This avoids to mesh the void, but increases mesh expenses on the boundaries. Cheers Edgar

Иван Иванович Иванов

Posted: 4 years ago May 19, 2020, 7:00 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago May 19, 2020, 7:05 a.m. EDT

Thank you for answering me, Edgar.

the void is not empty in electromagnetics, there are the fields.

Did you mean that there is no need to fill the empty space in COMSOL?

you might consider to use the Electrostatics

Yes, I use Electrostatics. But when I try to create a plot in plane between electrodes, which placed in some distance one from another, COMSOL warnings me about empty plot. I created a Cut Plane in Data Sets between electrodes to extract data, but there is no data. Can I indicate that the surrounding space (in sone planes) should participate in the calculations?

Thank you for answering me, Edgar. >the void is not empty in electromagnetics, there are the fields. Did you mean that there is no need to fill the empty space in COMSOL? >you might consider to use the Electrostatics Yes, I use Electrostatics. But when I try to create a plot in plane between electrodes, which placed in some distance one from another, COMSOL warnings me about empty plot. I created a Cut Plane in Data Sets between electrodes to extract data, but there is no data. Can I indicate that the surrounding space (in sone planes) should participate in the calculations?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago May 19, 2020, 7:30 a.m. EDT

No exactly the opposite. In FEM you must mesh the void. In BEM this is not needed.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
No exactly the opposite. In FEM you must mesh the void. In BEM this is not needed.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.