Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particles disappear after releasing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am facing a problem in my model that I've dealing for teh past weeks and connot solve. I am new at COMSOL so any help will be well received.

Basically, I want to model a non uniform particle distribution inside an adhesive joint, having a higher particle concentration in the middle of the overlap area and less at both ends.

I consider iron microparticles, a polyurethane adhesive and aluminium substrates as the materials for this model. To move the particles I apply a magnetic field originated from a permanent magnet that is placed in the middle top of the joint.

In my model I used three modules: - AC/DC Mgnetic Fields, No Currents (mfnc) - to model the permanent magnet - Fluid Flow Single-Phase Flow Creeping or Laminar Flow (spf) - to model the adhesive - Particle Tracing for Fluid Flow (fpt) - to model and release the particles.

Basically, I set to release the particle inside the adhesive randomly at t=1s, but after at t=2s, for example, the particles disappear.... Maybe I have misread somthing or haven't included some parameter, but I can't figure it out...

If anyone can help, I would appreciate. I wanted to attached the model, but it is too big :( maybe via email can work.

Thanks in advance,

Kate

1 Reply Last Post May 21, 2020, 2:53 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago May 21, 2020, 2:53 p.m. EDT

Hi Kate,

First off, you can reduce the size of your model by clearing all your solutions by right clicking on your study and clear solutions.

As for why your particles are disappearing, this depends on what the particles are doing beforehand. I assume that they are attracted by the magnet, so that they must hit a wall at some point. What is your condition for when a particle hits a wall?

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Kate, First off, you can reduce the size of your model by clearing all your solutions by right clicking on your study and clear solutions. As for why your particles are disappearing, this depends on what the particles are doing beforehand. I assume that they are attracted by the magnet, so that they must hit a wall at some point. What is your condition for when a particle hits a wall? Cheers, Alex

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.