Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

okada type, friction between two surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all.

I need some suggestions about how to model a dislocation source (Okada type). The source is modeled as a couple of contact boundaries. I want to put some friction on the surfaces and I add the friction node (under the contact node in Solid mechanics). After, I planned to made a comparison with the results from a similar model to see if they are comparable. From Comsol, gotthe same results only if I choose a value friction = 4. But from what I understood the friction coefficient should between 0 and 1 in Comsol, as 1 should be the maximum friction. Can somebody explain this to me? I tried to see something more in the knowledge base but coudn't find anything. Maybe I am not considering some general conditions??

Thanks to all who can help me. Chiara

1 Reply Last Post May 25, 2020, 3:06 p.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago May 25, 2020, 3:06 p.m. EDT

Hi,

There is no fundamental reason to assume that the friction coefficient is limited by 1. The value 4 is perfectly valid, even if extremely unusual. As an example, silver sliding on silver has been reported as having a friction coefficient of 1.4.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, There is no fundamental reason to assume that the friction coefficient is limited by 1. The value 4 is perfectly valid, even if extremely unusual. As an example, silver sliding on silver has been reported as having a friction coefficient of 1.4.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.