Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Evaluation of component coupling operators

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, If I define a component coupling operator, such as an integration operator over a volume, after a simulation study has been completed, the operator can not be used yet in the post-processing of the results (for example as the argument of a global evaluation node). The solution needs to be updated first. I am wondering what is happening under the hood. If in the physics setup, nothing is using that operator, I would assume that it is not evaluated during the simulation, and it does not affect at all the speed of the simulation. It is as if it was not there. And when I use this operator afterwards, during post-processing, in a global evaluation node for example, then - and only then - it is called on the stored solution. This seems to be in contradiction with the above observation, i.e. that I can not use this operator, unless it was already defined during the running of the simulation, or I update the solution. Can somebody tell me how the machinery works? If I have many integration operators, which are not accessed by any of the physics nodes (I only want to use during post-processing), does it give any extra load to the solver? Thanks

0 Replies Last Post May 28, 2020, 1:10 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Daniel Barna

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.