Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Extracting creep model inputs from manufacturer data

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have been asked to develop an FEA model of a component we are moulding out of glass filled nylon material. The component is shown in the attachment, together with a seal which is moulded into a groove on the plastic component.

The seal itself is made from a Silicone rubber.

I have run a stationary model to determine the load on the plastic as the seal is compressed. It is my plan to add a time dependant study to determine the expected creep behaviour of the plastic over time (no temperature dependance initially, just a room temperature stress induced creep).

I have some creep related information for the plastic (on the attached material data sheet, and also with the relevant curves extracted into an Excel file).

My problem is that I am not sure how to extract the required model inputs (for a Norton type creep analysis) from the material data that I have (or even if it is possible to extract the requied inputs).

The inputs I need are:

Creep Rate Coefficient: in units of 1/time

Reference Stress: in MPa (or other unit of pressure)

Norton exponent (dimensionless)

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me extract the parameters I need!

Mark

0 Replies Last Post Jun 16, 2020, 6:23 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mark Harradine

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.