Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with negative pressure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I've just started using COMSOL this year and I'm trying to prove the Young-Laplace equation.

I'm using a 2D Laminar Two-Phase flow to simulate a droplet of water of radius=0.25m in engine oil (which is a square of 1.28 by 1.28 m)

The Young-Laplace equation states that the pressure difference across the interface will be equal to the surface tension divided by the radius of the droplet.

To test this relationship I am simply inputting a user defined surface tension and recording the pressure it gives me, however for a few surface tension values I use it gives a negative pressure, the difference of the two negative pressures still proves the relationship but why is it only negative for certain surface tension values?

It would also help if someone could tell me how to access the surface tension values from the library, I could use a water/olive oil surface tension coefficient but I cant find the value anywhere.

1 Reply Last Post Apr 19, 2012, 7:55 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sam Bull

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2012, 7:55 a.m. EDT
COMSOL provided the references it used to obtain these surface tension values in the documentation. However, it is easier to find the values used by plotting the surface tension coefficient from the results.

Regarding the negative “gauge” pressures, the Young-Laplace equation only controls the pressure difference along the interface. The actual values on both sides of the interface depend on the rest of the model.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
COMSOL provided the references it used to obtain these surface tension values in the documentation. However, it is easier to find the values used by plotting the surface tension coefficient from the results. Regarding the negative “gauge” pressures, the Young-Laplace equation only controls the pressure difference along the interface. The actual values on both sides of the interface depend on the rest of the model. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.