Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating Audio/Sound Point Sources and Testing in a 3D Geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have been looking for a solution to this obstacle, but I may have missed it while going through the tutorials and discussions.

I am looking to test an acoustic panel geometry to compare with one of similar material and environment, to see if one shaping is more effective than another in treating reverb. The main issue lies in figuring out how to create one or two points of sound in the environment. I didn't see anything about this in tutorial videos, and one discussion on the matter was from several years ago, and I wasn't able to follow the instructions (the UI had been changed in later updates, I'm guessing).

How would I create point sources for emitting audio/sound?

3 Replies Last Post Oct 22, 2020, 4:13 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 21, 2020, 3:57 p.m. EDT

John,

If you have a look into the 'Points' menu you will see monopole, dipole and quadrupole point sources in acpr-physics and the monopole point source in actd physics.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
John, If you have a look into the 'Points' menu you will see monopole, dipole and quadrupole point sources in acpr-physics and the monopole point source in actd physics. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 21, 2020, 4:07 p.m. EDT

Okay, thanks. Found the directory.

It seems to tie itself to already existing points on the geometry present. Is there a way to specify coordinates in the space of the environment to have it emit? I don't know if I can give a location, or if I need to transition it, etc.

Okay, thanks. Found the directory. It seems to tie itself to already existing points on the geometry present. Is there a way to specify coordinates in the space of the environment to have it emit? I don't know if I can give a location, or if I need to transition it, etc.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 22, 2020, 4:13 a.m. EDT

Without doubt the point source needs a point in the geometry. In any case it is a little difficult to specify a source if the location is not known, isn't it? You can move points either in a parametric study acting on the geometry or in a time dependent moving mesh.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Without doubt the point source needs a point in the geometry. In any case it is a little difficult to specify a source if the location is not known, isn't it? You can move points either in a parametric study acting on the geometry or in a time dependent moving mesh.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.