Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic field distribution in and around a conductor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone I am new to COMSOL and need help on how to approach this problem

Find the magnetic field distribution in and around an infinitely-long, current-carrying conductor in air. Also find the distribution of current density, J in the conductor. Given: current, I=10 A, conductor diameter, d=10 mm, frequency, f=0 (direct current, d.c.).

Thanks everyone in advance

3 Replies Last Post Nov 15, 2020, 4:07 p.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 12, 2020, 4:27 p.m. EST
Updated: 3 years ago Nov 12, 2020, 5:07 p.m. EST

That sure sounds a lot like a "homework problem" to me... Anyway, I suggest you start with a 2D axisymmetric model using the AC/DC module (assuming you have that) using either the Magnetic Fields (mf) or Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef) formulations, with a Stationary study. But you could attack it other ways too, and some might be better or more elegant. Strictly speaking, it is only a 1D problem, since there is only a radial dependence present (in a polar coordinate system). So I suspect others here can offer you even simpler approaches than I have suggested.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
That sure sounds a lot like a "homework problem" to me... Anyway, I suggest you start with a 2D axisymmetric model using the AC/DC module (assuming you have that) using either the Magnetic Fields (mf) or Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef) formulations, with a Stationary study. But you could attack it other ways too, and some might be better or more elegant. Strictly speaking, it is only a 1D problem, since there is only a radial dependence present (in a polar coordinate system). So I suspect others here can offer you even simpler approaches than I have suggested.

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 13, 2020, 9:36 a.m. EST

Thanks for your help

Yes this is a homework problem. I am brand new to COMSOL so I need to familiarise myself with the basics. My professor recommended me to ask for help here.

>That sure sounds a lot like a "homework problem" to me... >Anyway, I suggest you start with a 2D axisymmetric model using the AC/DC module (assuming you have that) using either the Magnetic Fields (mf) or Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef) formulations, with a Stationary study. But you could attack it other ways too, and some might be better or more elegant. Strictly speaking, it is only a 1D problem, since there is only a radial dependence present (in a polar coordinate system). So I suspect others here can offer you even simpler approaches than I have suggested. Thanks for your help Yes this is a homework problem. I am brand new to COMSOL so I need to familiarise myself with the basics. My professor recommended me to ask for help here.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 15, 2020, 4:07 p.m. EST

You might find the discussion in the following paper interesting, as well: http://www.it.uu.se/edu/course/homepage/projektF/vt03/projekt3.pdf Good luck.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You might find the discussion in the following paper interesting, as well: [http://www.it.uu.se/edu/course/homepage/projektF/vt03/projekt3.pdf](http://) Good luck.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.