Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Missing Specular Reflection Functionality in the Ray Acoustics Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to set up my own Ray Acoustics study, very similar to the "small concert hall" file from the application libraries. I want to perform almost the exact same study, but with my own geometry. I have set up my geometry by building it inside COMSOL 5.5, rather than importing it from an outside file. I'm interesting in computing the impulse response from a 3D receiver, the ray trajectories and the reverberation times (T60).

So far, I believe I have set everything up correctly, but there are some key differences in my wall boundary condition tab. I will attach screenshots to show the differences. I wish to carrry out the study in the same way, by using the Specular Reflection option for the wall conditions.

In the original tutorial file, selecting "Specular Reflection" as the wall condition opens up the "Reflection Coefficient Model" box that allows you to specifiy the absorption coefficient. In my version, this does not happen. You can also see that the equations specified for use in the tutorial and my own file are not the same.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Many thanks,

Tom Walker Student at the University of Glasgow

1 Reply Last Post Jan 27, 2021, 7:29 p.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Jan 27, 2021, 7:29 p.m. EST

Sorry I misued the term "Spectral", I meant "Specular" Reflection.

Many thanks,

Tom

Sorry I misued the term "Spectral", I meant "Specular" Reflection. Many thanks, Tom

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.