Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Temperature and Chemical Reaction Dependent Viscosity Modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to simulate a reacting flow of a non-newtonian fluid inside a pipe and its viscosity is depending on the molar rates of the reacting molecules and temperature change along the pipe. The viscosity should be calculated depending on the Comsol results therefore I could not define the viscosity since it depends on the results(temperature change, molar rates of the molecules etc.) of the CFD.

Is there any way that I can link the CFD results and material property definitions?

Thanks,

3 Replies Last Post Apr 20, 2021, 10:10 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Feb 6, 2021, 8:40 a.m. EST

For the viscosity, you can type in a mathematical expression that depends on the species' concentrations, temperature, etc.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
For the viscosity, you can type in a mathematical expression that depends on the species' concentrations, temperature, etc. Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago Feb 6, 2021, 10:23 a.m. EST

For the viscosity, you can type in a mathematical expression that depends on the species' concentrations, temperature, etc.

Jeff

I already have my mathematical function for the viscosity however I want to link it with the CFD results. For example I have the "T" variable in my equation for temperature but I want Comsol to put temperature value as it calculates it along the pipe wall. Which expression do I have to put instead of T.

>For the viscosity, you can type in a mathematical expression that depends on the species' concentrations, temperature, etc. > >Jeff I already have my mathematical function for the viscosity however I want to link it with the CFD results. For example I have the "T" variable in my equation for temperature but I want Comsol to put temperature value as it calculates it along the pipe wall. Which expression do I have to put instead of T.

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 20, 2021, 10:10 a.m. EDT

Jeff

I already have my mathematical function for the viscosity however I want to link it with the CFD results. For example I have the "T" variable in my equation for temperature but I want Comsol to put temperature value as it calculates it along the pipe wall. Which expression do I have to put instead of T.

I guess you can use non local coupling 'Average'. It calculates the average temperature over the domain and you can use this as a varaible.

>>For the viscosity, you can type in a mathematical expression that depends on the species' concentrations, temperature, etc. >> >>Jeff > >I already have my mathematical function for the viscosity however I want to link it with the CFD results. For example I have the "T" variable in my equation for temperature but I want Comsol to put temperature value as it calculates it along the pipe wall. Which expression do I have to put instead of T. I guess you can use non local coupling 'Average'. It calculates the average temperature over the domain and you can use this as a varaible.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.