Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic field created by a DC wire

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am a former user of 3.5 version. Now I have switched to 5.5 and I am trying to evaluate the magnetic field created by a DC current though a wire (in 3D), and I have problems.

I have draw the wire as a solid cilinder and the infinite lay as a sphere containing it, selected the materials (copper and air) and the external current option in the magnetic analysis (assigning a J0 to the wire), but it does not work.

The error shows: no solution found. Singular matrix. Empty ecuations. Solution not converging.

May I get any help please?

Thanks in advance

Gabriel

2 Replies Last Post Apr 5, 2021, 3:15 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 3, 2021, 9:09 p.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Apr 4, 2021, 11:53 a.m. EDT

You are not the first person to experience that problem. First, there are a number of application modes, and it makes a difference which one you choose. Second, in general you will need to set the conductivity of your empty-space (air around the wire) to be non-zero. (It can be small, but it can't be zero or the solution can't proceed.) If those hints don't help you enough to find a configuration that works, then I suggest that you post your model to the forum and someone here will likely take a closer look at it and give you more specific advice.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You are not the first person to experience that problem. First, there are a number of application modes, and it makes a difference which one you choose. Second, in general you will need to set the conductivity of your empty-space (air around the wire) to be non-zero. (It can be small, but it can't be zero or the solution can't proceed.) If those hints don't help you enough to find a configuration that works, then I suggest that you post your model to the forum and someone here will likely take a closer look at it and give you more specific advice.

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 5, 2021, 3:15 p.m. EDT

It works!! Thanks a lot Robert!!

Kind regards

Gabriel

It works!! Thanks a lot Robert!! Kind regards Gabriel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.