Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to extrude an imported 2D .dxf file in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone,

I have a generated 2d image which is converted to dxf file. It can be easily imported and recognizied all the edges and points. But I like to convert to 3d by extruding it. Is there any way to convert it to cylindrical cross section and rectangular cross section. I have attached the model. Any help please? Thank you!

2 Replies Last Post May 6, 2021, 1:02 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago May 5, 2021, 10:19 p.m. EDT

You've imported your 2D file into your 3D geometry. It is apparently a set of lines, without surfaces. And it is not actually "in" the workplane you then created afterward. I suggest you instead import your 2D file directly into the workplane of interest (the software will let you do that; try it.) You also need to form surfaces to extrude, or else you will extrude a frame, not a volume. I suggest you try that and see if you can figure out the rest. If not, see how far you can get and repost your model.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You've imported your 2D file into your 3D geometry. It is apparently a set of lines, without surfaces. And it is not actually "in" the workplane you then created afterward. I suggest you instead import your 2D file directly into the workplane of interest (the software will let you do that; try it.) You also need to form surfaces to extrude, or else you will extrude a frame, not a volume. I suggest you try that and see if you can figure out the rest. If not, see how far you can get and repost your model.

Posted: 3 years ago May 6, 2021, 1:02 p.m. EDT

Thank you for your reply. You are correct it has to be 2d surface inorder to extrude which I ignored. I fix this issue by using SolidWorks CAD design.

Thank you for your reply. You are correct it has to be 2d surface inorder to extrude which I ignored. I fix this issue by using SolidWorks CAD design.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.