Discussion Locked This discussion was locked by a forum moderator.

Combining Port with Lumped Elements

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I've got copper trace on a PCB that's acting as an antenna and what I'm looking to do is place an inductor and capacitor to make this circuit resonate at a particular frequency when it recieves a planar EM wave from the air. I'm using port to model the EM wave and I'm trying to use lumped elements to model the capacitor/inductor. I can't seem to get this to work however. Can these features work together or is there a better way to design this simulation?

Thanks

4 Replies Last Post Jun 1, 2021, 4:27 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 1, 2021, 12:13 p.m. EDT

You say "...when it receives a planar EM wave from the air. I'm using port to model the EM wave."
That seems an odd choice to me, because if I were creating a model with an incident plane wave, I would use the scattered-field formalism (see attached image), if practical. Have you considered doing that?

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You say "...when it receives a planar EM wave from the air. I'm using port to model the EM wave." That seems an odd choice to me, because if I were creating a model with an incident plane wave, I would use the *scattered-field formalism* (see attached image), if practical. Have you considered doing that?

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 1, 2021, 1:59 p.m. EDT

Hi Robert,

Thank you so much for your reply. I hadn't considered that.

I might have worded it incorrectly as I'm new to this field. To give a clearer picture, what I'm trying to achieve is similar to what was designed in this video https://www.comsol.com/video/simulating-metamaterials-in-the-terahertz-regime-with-comsol-multiphysics except that I am looking to insert an inductor and capacitor surface mounted device between the gap in the middle, or anywhere really as I don't think it affects the result, device. Additionally, there would be no ground plane as the the wave is meant to pass through to a receiving antenna on the other side, so I would also insert a second port beneath the metamaterial.

In the video they use port to model the incident wave, so I did the same as I had also seen it be done in this tutorial https://www.comsol.com/model/frequency-selective-surface-periodic-complementary-split-ring-resonator-15711. Is it possible to combine lumped elements and port features in this way? or is there another approach I should take?

Hi Robert, Thank you so much for your reply. I hadn't considered that. I might have worded it incorrectly as I'm new to this field. To give a clearer picture, what I'm trying to achieve is similar to what was designed in this video https://www.comsol.com/video/simulating-metamaterials-in-the-terahertz-regime-with-comsol-multiphysics except that I am looking to insert an inductor and capacitor surface mounted device between the gap in the middle, or anywhere really as I don't think it affects the result, device. Additionally, there would be no ground plane as the the wave is meant to pass through to a receiving antenna on the other side, so I would also insert a second port beneath the metamaterial. In the video they use port to model the incident wave, so I did the same as I had also seen it be done in this tutorial https://www.comsol.com/model/frequency-selective-surface-periodic-complementary-split-ring-resonator-15711. Is it possible to combine lumped elements and port features in this way? or is there another approach I should take?

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 1, 2021, 3:45 p.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Jun 1, 2021, 3:47 p.m. EDT

That's a little different than what I thought you were trying to do. I've only done very little work with metamaterials. I encourage those with more experience in that area to respond to your updated questions.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
That's a little different than what I thought you were trying to do. I've only done very little work with metamaterials. I encourage those with more experience in that area to respond to your updated questions.

Posted: 3 years ago Jun 1, 2021, 4:27 p.m. EDT

That's alright, thank you very much. Outside of this specific case, do you know if the lumped element feature is designed to work with port as well or does it only function properly when lumped port is used? I haven't been able to find any documentation that can verify this.

That's alright, thank you very much. Outside of this specific case, do you know if the lumped element feature is designed to work with port as well or does it only function properly when lumped port is used? I haven't been able to find any documentation that can verify this.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.