Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary condition as function of local coordinate

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all, my system is made of two subdomains, the external rectangle (with velocity inlet and pressure outlet conditions and a boundary stress on the interface with the cylinder) and the inner cylinder (velocity inlet u2=u and v2=v and pressure fixed in the rear stagnation point). In both systems the Stokes (creeping flow) equations are solved. The boundary stress (F1,F2) of domain 1 depends on two values, Mnnn and Mttn, which I want to prescribe in this way:

1) I want to prescribe a piecewise function "por(R,phi)" on the cylinder surface (R=radius of cylinder, phi=angle coordinate in cylindrical frame). (e.g. por=0.5 if 0°<theta<30°, por=0.1 if 30°<=theta<31.5° and so on)

2) I define two interpolation functions Mnnn(por) and Mttn(por) so that Mnnn and Mttn (and F1, F2 as a consequence) will be updated at each segment on the cylinder automatically by interpolation of some Mnnn and Mttn values that I provide.

My questions are:

A) what is the command to define the function por(R,phi)? How can I implement a local coordinate on the cylinder surface instead of using the cartesian coordinates?

B) how can I pass the function "por" to the interpolation functions "Mnnn" and "Mttn"?

Screenshot of the system is attached.

Thank you very much in advance. Best wishes. Kevin

0 Replies Last Post Jul 29, 2021, 5:35 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kevin Wittkowski

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.