Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Pressure drop due to CO2 diffusion in water

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am going to model the diffusion of CO2 into water. Initially, the gas phase includes 100% CO2 while the liquid phase, water, has no dissolved CO2 inside. I need to track the pressure drop in gas phase due to CO2 diffusion in water until the equilibrium is reached. I used Transport of Diluted Species (tds) module for both gas and liquid phases in 1 D. However, considering a diffusion coefficient (D) for gas phase which consists of 100% CO2 does not have any meaning as there is just CO2 in this phase. Any idea how to model the gas phase without using the Transport of Diluted Species (tds) module?

P.S. The flux at the interface is defined based on two film theory: K(CCO2,g - (CCO2, water*H)), So I need the CO2 concentration in gas phase ( CCO2,g) as a variable at each time.

Thank you in advance.

3 Replies Last Post Sep 13, 2021, 5:18 a.m. EDT

Posted: 3 years ago Aug 25, 2021, 4:46 a.m. EDT

Henry's law+diffusion in water.

Henry's law+diffusion in water.

Posted: 3 years ago Aug 25, 2021, 5:28 a.m. EDT

Thank you Lasse.

The problem is that for Henry's law implementation, I use the partition condition node as a boundary condition. Since this node prescribes the ratio between the concentration of CO2 in two different phases, I need to model the gas phase, too, besides the water phase. However, By considering a geometry for the gas phase I need to use a module for modeling its physics. So, I used again Transport of Diluted Species (tds) module for the gas phase which requires identification of diffusion coefficient (D). But considering a diffusion coefficient for the gas phase which consists of %100 CO2 does not have any physical meaning.

Thank you Lasse. The problem is that for Henry's law implementation, I use the partition condition node as a boundary condition. Since this node prescribes the ratio between the concentration of CO2 in two different phases, I need to model the gas phase, too, besides the water phase. However, By considering a geometry for the gas phase I need to use a module for modeling its physics. So, I used again Transport of Diluted Species (tds) module for the gas phase which requires identification of diffusion coefficient (D). But considering a diffusion coefficient for the gas phase which consists of %100 CO2 does not have any physical meaning.

Posted: 3 years ago Sep 13, 2021, 5:18 a.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Sep 13, 2021, 5:57 a.m. EDT

There is no mass transfer in gas phase. Use mass balance and ideal gas law to estimate the pressure drop:

n° = n_gas + n_w = p·V_g/RT + V_w·c_w p = Kc·c_w at the interface; Kc = Henry's law constant on the conc. scale. n° = p°·V_g/RT; p° = initial pressure

How to implement the gas phase with Comsol, I have not checked.

But I calculated that assuming that the volume of water phase is much larger than that of the gas phase. This is what I got:

p/p° = exp(K²t)·erfc(K√t)

K = RT√D/[Kc·(V_g/A)] where A is the interfacial area of the gas-water interface, and D is the diffusion coefficient of CO2 in water.

Lasse

There is no mass transfer in gas phase. Use mass balance and ideal gas law to estimate the pressure drop: n° = n_gas + n_w = p·V_g/RT + V_w·c_w p = Kc·c_w at the interface; Kc = Henry's law constant on the conc. scale. n° = p°·V_g/RT; p° = initial pressure How to implement the gas phase with Comsol, I have not checked. But I calculated that assuming that the volume of water phase is much larger than that of the gas phase. This is what I got: p/p° = exp(K²t)·erfc(K√t) K = RT√D/[Kc·(V_g/A)] where A is the interfacial area of the gas-water interface, and D is the diffusion coefficient of CO2 in water. Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.