Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inductor and hysteresis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody:

I want to study an inductor when the material core has a non-linear behaviour. Following the example of a power inductor (AC/DC module - quasi statics, electromagnetic - electric and induction currents) I've simulated a 3D inductor with a double E core and created a material with MUR as a function of B (point by point) with a constant extrapolation function at the left (linear part) and at the right (saturation part). When I change the current value the inductor also changes the inductance value as expected, but the solver diverges when it is calculating around the last point I've introduced in the MUR function, that is, it doesn't extrapolate, though I think it should. I've introduced some more points into the MUR function, but the solver is still stoping at the same point.

The questions are: Why is it happening? Does it have a solution?

I want to extract a function of the inductance versus the current, and I need some values in saturation.

Thank you very much.

2 Replies Last Post Feb 9, 2010, 4:31 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 6, 2010, 6:13 a.m. EST
Hi

often a solver will hang on discontinuities, check carefully that your material properties are rather "smooth", or whatever other functions you have.

Unfortunately, your description does not ring any other "bells" by me, sometimes by looking at the sover conversion logs and graphs you get some idea how well it converges and how quick it finds its way, the culprit could be active before the final stop.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi often a solver will hang on discontinuities, check carefully that your material properties are rather "smooth", or whatever other functions you have. Unfortunately, your description does not ring any other "bells" by me, sometimes by looking at the sover conversion logs and graphs you get some idea how well it converges and how quick it finds its way, the culprit could be active before the final stop. Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 9, 2010, 4:31 a.m. EST
Thank you for the advice, that could be the problem. I'll try to smooth the function.

Lidia.
Thank you for the advice, that could be the problem. I'll try to smooth the function. Lidia.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.