Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time sweep + parametric sweep

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

1. Can I couple the parametric sweep with time dependent solver?
This is what I need: I am applying a set of voltages to a resistor and plotting the joule heating, using parametric sweep. I want to be able to apply these voltages as a function of time, i.e.: in the output plot, as I sweep time from say 1s to 10s, I must be able to see the applied voltage change in steps of, say, 1V every second.

2. Is there a way to apply user defined functions in the parametric sweep?

1 Reply Last Post Jun 27, 2012, 2:32 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 27, 2012, 2:32 p.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure I fully undersand youre case.

But indeed you can couple a parametric sweep changing the voltage by steps i.e. V0, and then launching a time dependent solver running from 0 to 10, and the BC final voltage can well be a mix of functions like

V0*step(t[1/s])*sin(2*pi*freq[Hz]*t[1/s])

or whatever you might invent (units might not be required if already defined)

For your information there are TWO types of solver sweeps: the specific node "parametric sweep" that changes a parameter then regenerate your geometry, your mesh, the physics and the study, and loops around. Each time the solver will restart, with a different parameter, possible a different shape in the geometry via the parameter change, and then it applies YOUR INITIAL CONDITIONS, always the same over and over again.

The other solver parametric sweep is done i.e. in the "stationary" case, with the advanced node tab "Continuation", this will loop the solver sequences, BUT WILL NOT regenerate your geometry, nor your mesh and will use your initial conditions for the FIRST solver run, but will then use the last solver results as initial conditions for the next parameter sweep initial conditions.

Some other solvers allows to mix a continuation sweep, while a" time series" solver is by itself already a sort of continuation sweep, but of the special parameter "t" the time

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I fully undersand youre case. But indeed you can couple a parametric sweep changing the voltage by steps i.e. V0, and then launching a time dependent solver running from 0 to 10, and the BC final voltage can well be a mix of functions like V0*step(t[1/s])*sin(2*pi*freq[Hz]*t[1/s]) or whatever you might invent (units might not be required if already defined) For your information there are TWO types of solver sweeps: the specific node "parametric sweep" that changes a parameter then regenerate your geometry, your mesh, the physics and the study, and loops around. Each time the solver will restart, with a different parameter, possible a different shape in the geometry via the parameter change, and then it applies YOUR INITIAL CONDITIONS, always the same over and over again. The other solver parametric sweep is done i.e. in the "stationary" case, with the advanced node tab "Continuation", this will loop the solver sequences, BUT WILL NOT regenerate your geometry, nor your mesh and will use your initial conditions for the FIRST solver run, but will then use the last solver results as initial conditions for the next parameter sweep initial conditions. Some other solvers allows to mix a continuation sweep, while a" time series" solver is by itself already a sort of continuation sweep, but of the special parameter "t" the time -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.