Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Remove a point from 2D truss structure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I've been wondering if anyone knows how can I remove a point from a connection between two trusses.
For example if I have a cross-like structure, could I remove the point in the middle of the cross so that the two members are not connected?

Thank you
Kyriakos

2 Replies Last Post Feb 6, 2010, 6:15 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 6, 2010, 5:59 a.m. EST
Hi

If I understand you correct, ou want to "open your structure" or allow a gap.
Well if its a point common to two trusses, it would stay common by "continuity", and a point cannot become "two independent points" without a topology change, and this would imply element reordering and re-indexing whcih is not allowed within the same solving process, as such.

But, you could probably make two points close to each other with a "special" truss element in-between to which you apply some equations to allow for a low stiffnesss in the direction you prefer, or something like that. Then you can control the degrees of freedom between the two truss elements, no ?

By typing in equations for your metrial and laod properties you can make all sorts of "funny" elements, like lumped spring, mass, dampers, or actuators etc

Good luck
Ivar
Hi If I understand you correct, ou want to "open your structure" or allow a gap. Well if its a point common to two trusses, it would stay common by "continuity", and a point cannot become "two independent points" without a topology change, and this would imply element reordering and re-indexing whcih is not allowed within the same solving process, as such. But, you could probably make two points close to each other with a "special" truss element in-between to which you apply some equations to allow for a low stiffnesss in the direction you prefer, or something like that. Then you can control the degrees of freedom between the two truss elements, no ? By typing in equations for your metrial and laod properties you can make all sorts of "funny" elements, like lumped spring, mass, dampers, or actuators etc Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 6, 2010, 6:15 a.m. EST
Thank you very much
Thank you very much

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.