Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deflection of a microcantilever beam

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am a student of mechanical engg (M-tech) in NIT silchar, India. I am designing a microactuator in comsol multiphysics which is basically a cantilever consisting of three layers. Top layer is of 1 micrometer thick titanium layer, middle one is 2 micrometer thick silicon dioxide layer and bottom layer is of 3 micrometer thick polysilicon layer. When a voltage is applied across titanium layer, heat is produced because of joule heating effect and temperature of the cantilever rises. As different layers have different thermal expansion co-efficient, there is a deflection at the tip of free end. I am getting some deflection when applied voltage is less than 1.2 volt. But when is more than 1.2 volt, it doesn't yield any result. I dont under stand what is happening.
All layers having rectangular cross-section and one end of the cantilever is fixed
Length and width of the cantilever are 200 micrometer and 20 micrometer respectively.

1 Reply Last Post Feb 6, 2010, 5:41 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 6, 2010, 5:41 a.m. EST
Hi

as you describe it its "not normal" I agree. To debug such situations that rather indicates you have missed some meterial properties or BC (boundary conditions) you have several posibilities. I usually run a parameter analysis and check a few varaibles, and then look at the response of the others.

And sometimes it's the material parameters, specially if these are from the library and are "T" and "p" dependent: are "T" and "p" well defined, if not add them as constants, and are we within their domain of effect, always test the range for the material parameters, these are not covering systematically T>0[K] and T<3000[K].

You often learn a lot by debugging your models, and its always mandatory to verify and validate a FEM model by a simple hand or analytical calculation and some experiences/tests for a few critical points.

Good luck
Iva
Hi as you describe it its "not normal" I agree. To debug such situations that rather indicates you have missed some meterial properties or BC (boundary conditions) you have several posibilities. I usually run a parameter analysis and check a few varaibles, and then look at the response of the others. And sometimes it's the material parameters, specially if these are from the library and are "T" and "p" dependent: are "T" and "p" well defined, if not add them as constants, and are we within their domain of effect, always test the range for the material parameters, these are not covering systematically T>0[K] and T

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.