Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Elastic Waves, Time Explicit error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am very new to COMSOL (and modelling in general) and I encountered an error while trying to model a very simple 2D steel block with a prespribed velocity on the top. The error I am getting is the following:

Undefined value found in discontinuous Galerkin formulation. -Geometry:geom1 -Domain:1 -Expression:comp1.elte.Gamma11

What I would like to see is the evolution of the velocity through the material. I have looked around but I cannot find what Gamma11 means or how to solve this issue. I would appreciate if anyone could help me.

Regards

1 Reply Last Post Dec 9, 2021, 4:52 a.m. EST
Kirill Shaposhnikov COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago Dec 9, 2021, 4:52 a.m. EST
Updated: 2 years ago Dec 9, 2021, 4:59 a.m. EST

Hi Sofia,

It is a typical error message one can encounter when modelling with time-explicit DG-FEM interfaces, and, I have to admit, it is not very informative. The reason for the undefined value is usually due to the exponential growth of the solution, which, in its turn, can happen when the time-explicit integrations scheme becomes unstable: a mismatch between the time step and some mesh element, which leads to violating the CFL-condition.

It is hard to say what triggers the exponential growth of the solution without seeing your model. Therefore, I recommend that you submit a support case for your issue and tell the support representative to assign your case to me.

Best regards
Kirill

Hi Sofia, It is a typical error message one can encounter when modelling with time-explicit DG-FEM interfaces, and, I have to admit, it is not very informative. The reason for the undefined value is usually due to the exponential growth of the solution, which, in its turn, can happen when the time-explicit integrations scheme becomes unstable: a mismatch between the time step and some mesh element, which leads to violating the CFL-condition. It is hard to say what triggers the exponential growth of the solution without seeing your model. Therefore, I recommend that you submit a support case for your issue and tell the support representative to assign your case to me. Best regards Kirill

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.