Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Axisymmetric model and PDE mode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am fairly new to using Comsol. I need to solve a PDE (coefficient form). However, my geometry is axisymmetric. After starting Comsol, when I select 2d in the Model Navigator menu, I can select PDE mode as an application mode. However, when I select Axial Symmetry(2D), I no longer see the PDE mode.
So, I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to solve an axisymmetric problem using the PDE mode of Comsol.
Thanks in advance,
Saswati

3 Replies Last Post Aug 24, 2010, 9:28 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 3, 2010, 6:22 p.m. EST
Dear Saswati,
Welcome to the world of Comsol. By the way, I am also pretty junior in the area.
I think a 2D axial symmetric pde is a 1D model. So you can choose handier 1D application mode. There is an exception to this rule and this is why you see other types of application models there. When the equations involve a divergence of the unknown vector field, the 2D axisymmetric problem can’t be transferred to 1D (due to mathematical reason). If this is your case, try to find the proper category of the existing application modes in 2D axisymmetric rather than starting from zero (pde mode), or solve your problem in a full 2D mode.
Dear Saswati, Welcome to the world of Comsol. By the way, I am also pretty junior in the area. I think a 2D axial symmetric pde is a 1D model. So you can choose handier 1D application mode. There is an exception to this rule and this is why you see other types of application models there. When the equations involve a divergence of the unknown vector field, the 2D axisymmetric problem can’t be transferred to 1D (due to mathematical reason). If this is your case, try to find the proper category of the existing application modes in 2D axisymmetric rather than starting from zero (pde mode), or solve your problem in a full 2D mode.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 4, 2010, 5:36 p.m. EST
Hi Pouya,
I am actually looking at '2d axisymmetric' problem, i.e. the problem is in reality a 3d problem but I am trying to solve it on 2d with assumption that the variation in the theta-direction can be neglected.
Regards,
Saswati
Hi Pouya, I am actually looking at '2d axisymmetric' problem, i.e. the problem is in reality a 3d problem but I am trying to solve it on 2d with assumption that the variation in the theta-direction can be neglected. Regards, Saswati

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 24, 2010, 9:28 a.m. EDT
Hi Saswati,

did you ever figure this out? I know it can be done in Comsol 4.0 but i would like to do it in 3.5 if possible.

Best regards,
Adam
Hi Saswati, did you ever figure this out? I know it can be done in Comsol 4.0 but i would like to do it in 3.5 if possible. Best regards, Adam

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.