Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling the joint dynamics with thin layer elements in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone, I found in some papers that the bolt joint can be conveniently modeled using the thin layer element which has been integrated into many commercial FE packages. In the tutorial Modeling the dynamics of mechanical joints (Modeling the dynamics of mechanical joints S. Bograd a, P. Reuss, A. Schmidt, L. Gaul, M. Mayer b, 2011, MSSP), the authors have given a simple example (see Fig. 20 and Table 4 in section 3.5 of the attached PDF); however, it was completed in MSC. Nastran with which I am not familiar. I wonder if similar treatment can be done in COMSOL? My final goal is to simulate how the pretension of the bolts affects the dampings of different vibration modes and I think the thin layer element based method can be a possible solution. If anyone has ever done or seen similar simulations before? COMSOL based tutorial will be of great help. Thank you so much for reading and I appreciate your help. Best regards, Hao

0 Replies Last Post Jan 4, 2022, 3:07 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello 昊 邱

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.