Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Acoustics and electric circuit coupling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a model that combine pinna simulator in pressure acoustic physics with 3D geometry and microphone in analog circuit(not a simple RCL circuit but a complex circuit).

Then I want to couple them by adding a acoustic impedance on the boundary which represente microphone, the acoustic impedance is defined as voltage of circuit source devided by current of circuit. On the circuit side, I put the pressure as the source of the circuit. The study is in frequency domain.

However, when I press compute, I always got the error :

Division by zero. - Function: / Failed to evaluate variable. - Variable: comp1.acpr.Zi - Defined as: (((comp1.cir.v_1unit_Pa_cf)unit_s_cf)unit_A_cf)/((unit_m_cfunit_V_cf)comp1.cir.L4_i) Failed to evaluate expression. - Expression: dvol_spatial((((-comp1.acpr.delta)comp1.acpr.iomega)comp1.acpr.p_t)(1/comp1.acpr.Zi)) Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression. - Expression: (-comp1.acpr.deltacomp1.acpr.iomegacomp1.acpr.p_ttest(comp1.p)/comp1.acpr.Zi)*(dvol_spatial)

which may mean that impedance is zero.

I want to know how to fix the model to couple analog circuit and pressure acoustics.

6 Replies Last Post Jan 17, 2022, 9:37 p.m. EST

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 12, 2022, 4:01 a.m. EST

I just spent a few minutes on this, and it seems to work if you put a velocity boundary condition instead of an impedance boundary condition; make the volume velocities match similar to what you have already done.

I just spent a few minutes on this, and it seems to work if you put a velocity boundary condition instead of an impedance boundary condition; make the volume velocities match similar to what you have already done.

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 12, 2022, 8:26 p.m. EST

Thank you very much. It does works! But I wondering that why impedance boundary wasn't work, if I disabled impedance boundary and calculated impedance manually after study, it was not NaN or zero; however if I enabled it, the impedance became zero, this is very strange.

>I just spent a few minutes on this, and it seems to work if you put a velocity boundary condition instead of an impedance boundary condition; make the volume velocities match similar to what you have already done. Thank you very much. It does works! But I wondering that why impedance boundary wasn't work, if I disabled impedance boundary and calculated impedance manually after study, it was not NaN or zero; however if I enabled it, the impedance became zero, this is very strange.

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 13, 2022, 11:56 a.m. EST

The impedance is a ratio between pressure and velocity, but you need a more strict coupling than that. What you could do is first calculate the microphone impedance (apply a current, find the voltage, or the other way around), and use the found values in tabular form as the input for the impedance boundary conditions.

The impedance is a ratio between pressure and velocity, but you need a more strict coupling than that. What you could do is first calculate the microphone impedance (apply a current, find the voltage, or the other way around), and use the found values in tabular form as the input for the impedance boundary conditions.

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 14, 2022, 5:45 a.m. EST
Updated: 2 years ago Jan 14, 2022, 5:45 a.m. EST

OK, thank you very much.

In other words, The coupling of electric lumped model of acoustics and pressure acoustics need to be seperated into two steps.

But what's the differents between my model and lumped_loudspeaker_driver which is in application library?

It seems that lumped_loudspeaker_drive model just change the impedance boundary to interior normal acceleration in pressure acoustics, and add a additional voltage source in electrical circuit and change the first voltage source into constant voltage. I'm wondering why this is ok but not ok for my model.

OK, thank you very much. In other words, The coupling of electric lumped model of acoustics and pressure acoustics need to be seperated into two steps. But what's the differents between my model and lumped_loudspeaker_driver which is in application library? It seems that lumped_loudspeaker_drive model just change the impedance boundary to interior normal acceleration in pressure acoustics, and add a additional voltage source in electrical circuit and change the first voltage source into constant voltage. I'm wondering why this is ok but not ok for my model.

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 17, 2022, 4:59 a.m. EST

Which version of COMSOL are looking at when it comes to the lumped_loudspeaker_driver file? (There are some changes in 6.0, but I suspect that you are looking at an older model?)

Which version of COMSOL are looking at when it comes to the lumped_loudspeaker_driver file? (There are some changes in 6.0, but I suspect that you are looking at an older model?)

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 17, 2022, 9:37 p.m. EST

Oh sorry, I didn't notice that. My version is 5.3a, so maybe in COMSOL 6.0 the model setting had already changed something. Anyway, thank you very much.

Oh sorry, I didn't notice that. My version is 5.3a, so maybe in COMSOL 6.0 the model setting had already changed something. Anyway, thank you very much.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.