Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing error

Alexander Martin Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I'm new to COMSOL and I'm having a problem that is probably easy to solve, but I don't know how.

When trying to mesh a 3D shape, I'm getting the following error:

Failed to create swept mesh for domain. - Domain: 1 Source faces must be connected.

As far as I can see, they are connected in my design! Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, Alex

4 Replies Last Post Jan 23, 2022, 7:24 a.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 20, 2022, 5:12 p.m. EST

Hmm. 1. You specified two source faces but no destination faces? 2. The place (distance) that you seem to be sweeping toward is apparently different for the two faces? Is that your intention?

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Hmm. 1. You specified *two* source faces but *no* destination faces? 2. The place (distance) that you seem to be sweeping toward is apparently different for the two faces? Is that your intention?

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 21, 2022, 11:00 a.m. EST
  1. You specified two source faces but no destination faces?

Thanks for your reply - I guess I uploaded a version where I just tried a couple of things. I have also tried two sweeps, one from face 5 to face 11 on the inner box which worked fine; and another from face 1 to face 12, so the outer box. This then returned the error

Unsupported topology of linking face. - Face: 11

I just want a simple mesh for this geometry so that I can alter the geometry later. Using a physics controlled mesh worked earlier but now that only meshes the beam inside the outer block.

The place (distance) that you seem to be sweeping toward is apparently different for the two faces? Is that your intention?

I was trying to sweep from both faces on x=0 to one face at x=10 and another at x=12. It seems that there is a problem when the inner part ends inside the outer box... Do you know how to solve that?

Thanks for your help!

>1. You specified *two* source faces but *no* destination faces? Thanks for your reply - I guess I uploaded a version where I just tried a couple of things. I have also tried two sweeps, one from face 5 to face 11 on the inner box which worked fine; and another from face 1 to face 12, so the outer box. This then returned the error >Unsupported topology of linking face. > - Face: 11 I just want a simple mesh for this geometry so that I can alter the geometry later. Using a physics controlled mesh worked earlier but now that only meshes the beam inside the outer block. >The place (distance) that you seem to be sweeping toward is apparently different for the two faces? Is that your intention? I was trying to sweep from both faces on x=0 to one face at x=10 and another at x=12. It seems that there is a problem when the inner part ends inside the outer box... Do you know how to solve that? Thanks for your help!

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 21, 2022, 12:47 p.m. EST

Build it with three boxes, one starting at x=10. Two swept mesh operations, the box starting at x=10 last.

Build it with three boxes, one starting at x=10. Two swept mesh operations, the box starting at x=10 last.

Posted: 2 years ago Jan 23, 2022, 7:24 a.m. EST

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I got it to work! :)

>Build it with three boxes, one starting at x=10. Two swept mesh operations, the box starting at x=10 last. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I got it to work! :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.