Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solution dependent user defined coordinate system

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Could it be possible to use user defined coordinate system which is dependent on solution of a problem?

I want to solve a problem using solver sequence.

for example,

First, I solve for magnetic field.

And I define local coordinate system which is tangential to magnetic field direction.
(local x axis tangential to magnetic field)

I apply force or displacement along the local x-axis.

To be brief, I want COMSOL to transform coordinates (of stress, strain, or whatever it is) from magnetic field
direction(local coordinate) to global coordinate.

Is it possible?

2 Replies Last Post Nov 27, 2011, 9:44 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 5, 2010, 2:14 a.m. EST
Hi
I'm not sure I fully get your question, but doesnt this mean that you want to:

1) define your equations for a "local" coordinate system based on the magnetic field directions
2) solve the problem for the magnetic field
3) solve it in the next sequence for the force expressed with the function under 1)

Probably you could solve both together

But why restart in a new global coordinates ?

Finally well I havnt tought out what those coordinate formulas would look like, but this seems feasible for me.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I fully get your question, but doesnt this mean that you want to: 1) define your equations for a "local" coordinate system based on the magnetic field directions 2) solve the problem for the magnetic field 3) solve it in the next sequence for the force expressed with the function under 1) Probably you could solve both together But why restart in a new global coordinates ? Finally well I havnt tought out what those coordinate formulas would look like, but this seems feasible for me. Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 27, 2011, 9:44 a.m. EST
Hello,

I am facing the same type of problem.
Did you find any solution ?

Thank's for the help.
Regards.
Nabil.
Hello, I am facing the same type of problem. Did you find any solution ? Thank's for the help. Regards. Nabil.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.