Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Eigenfrequency of acoustic-structure coupling model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I have a piezo disc and I want to get its eigenfrequencies, since the disc is operating in the water tank, should I model the disc with water domain, and run the eigenfrequency study for piezoelectricity and acoustic-structural coupling multiphysics at the same time or just model the disc? And if the water domain is necessary, should I add the PML since the water tank compare to the disk is infinite domain? Cause I noticed that the water domain is more difficult to converge.

Thank you very much!

1 Reply Last Post Apr 3, 2022, 1:45 p.m. EDT
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago Apr 3, 2022, 1:45 p.m. EDT

If you wnat to know the resonant frequency and quality factor with water present, yes, you will need to include the water.

PML would give the most accurate results although an impedance boundary condition would be fairly good.

Be aware that the result will depend at least somewhat on termination of the piezo (open circuit, resistive, or short). Also there will be eigenmodes with most of the energy in the liquid so you will need to identify the eigenmode of interest.

If you wnat to know the resonant frequency and quality factor with water present, yes, you will need to include the water. PML would give the most accurate results although an impedance boundary condition would be fairly good. Be aware that the result will depend at least somewhat on termination of the piezo (open circuit, resistive, or short). Also there will be eigenmodes with most of the energy in the liquid so you will need to identify the eigenmode of interest.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.