Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Eigen-solver with displacement-dependent force

Sansit Patnaik Mechanical Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a 3D mechanical system wherein we examine the stablity, when subjected to an external load, in terms of an eigenvalue problem. The external load is modeled in the following manner:

where is an external parameter, are coordinates, is the displacement along axis, and is time.

My question is, can we apply this force in the following manner:

in an eigenfrequency solver ?

-------------------
I am a student of Mechanics.
IIT Kanpur | Purdue | M3Sim

2 Replies Last Post Apr 7, 2022, 9:04 p.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Apr 7, 2022, 4:13 a.m. EDT

The velocity is already available as a built-in variable, so you can use that (solid.u_tZ for example). Since that term is proportional to the velocity, it would be a type of viscous damping (or, dependent on sign, amplification). By including damping, you will get complex valued eigenfrequencies and eigenmodes.

What is more intriguing is the other load term. It is actually not directly displacement dependent, but rather dependent on the displacement gradient. It is a pressure, proportional to the slope. You can use wX, just as you suggest. The only thing to note, is that you when you have 'follower loads', you have to select the Include geometric nonlinearity check box in the eigenfrequency study. That will make the stiffness matrix dependent on the load.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The velocity is already available as a built-in variable, so you can use that (*solid.u\_tZ* for example). Since that term is proportional to the velocity, it would be a type of viscous damping (or, dependent on sign, amplification). By including damping, you will get complex valued eigenfrequencies and eigenmodes. What is more intriguing is the other load term. It is actually not directly displacement dependent, but rather dependent on the displacement gradient. It is a pressure, proportional to the slope. You can use *wX*, just as you suggest. The only thing to note, is that you when you have 'follower loads', you have to select the *Include geometric nonlinearity* check box in the eigenfrequency study. That will make the stiffness matrix dependent on the load.

Sansit Patnaik Mechanical Engineering

Posted: 2 years ago Apr 7, 2022, 9:04 p.m. EDT

Thanks for your reply, Henrick. I indeed expect the eigenvalues to be complex in nature. I will incorporate your suggestions and get back to you.

The velocity is already available as a built-in variable, so you can use that (solid.u_tZ for example). Since that term is proportional to the velocity, it would be a type of viscous damping (or, dependent on sign, amplification). By including damping, you will get complex valued eigenfrequencies and eigenmodes.

What is more intriguing is the other load term. It is actually not directly displacement dependent, but rather dependent on the displacement gradient. It is a pressure, proportional to the slope. You can use wX, just as you suggest. The only thing to note, is that you when you have 'follower loads', you have to select the Include geometric nonlinearity check box in the eigenfrequency study. That will make the stiffness matrix dependent on the load.

-------------------
I am a student of Mechanics.
IIT Kanpur | Purdue | M3Sim
Thanks for your reply, Henrick. I indeed expect the eigenvalues to be complex in nature. I will incorporate your suggestions and get back to you. >The velocity is already available as a built-in variable, so you can use that (*solid.u\_tZ* for example). Since that term is proportional to the velocity, it would be a type of viscous damping (or, dependent on sign, amplification). By including damping, you will get complex valued eigenfrequencies and eigenmodes. > >What is more intriguing is the other load term. It is actually not directly displacement dependent, but rather dependent on the displacement gradient. It is a pressure, proportional to the slope. You can use *wX*, just as you suggest. The only thing to note, is that you when you have 'follower loads', you have to select the *Include geometric nonlinearity* check box in the eigenfrequency study. That will make the stiffness matrix dependent on the load.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.