Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help defining a trivial equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am considering a coupled PDE system which involves the variables , I want to investigate the behaviour of the third order derivatives of these variables.

As such I want to add a physics which involves the variables:

I then would compute the second order derivatives of these variables and continue on. However, I cannot seem to be able to find a way to do it which does not create errors.

The best approach that I have found is to write a coefficent form PDE, with Dirichlet boundary conditions. The coefficents of all of the constants of the PDE are identically zero except for the absorption coefficent (which is an identity matrix) and the source term.

I then compute the error between my variables and etc. But I find that the error is of the order , when I should expect it to be identically zero.

I have tried all approaches that I can think of: * Applying a pointwise constraint failed to get the process even going. * Creating a second study which just computes Q (not dxQ1 etc.) and then use that as the initial condition for the main study. * Create a variable which would make dxQ1 etc. be identically equal to zero and do an auxhillary study. * Use a general PDE form with a zero flux condition. * Chaning the termination criterion to solution only, and then to residual only.

None of these approaches worked and I have no idea why. My goal is to get the error between dxQ1 and Q1x, dyQ1 and Q1y, dxQ2 and Q2x, and dyQ2 and Q2y, to be zero (or close to). I have attached my code.

0 Replies Last Post Apr 22, 2022, 7:19 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Aaron Pim

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.