Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Study not converging when adding friction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to make a simple 2D model studying the plastic flow of a metal sheet subjected to an indenter. The model is made of a flat bottom tool and a circular top tool which are rigid domains, and a metal sheet in between, which plasticity is modeled by Ludwik's equation. Contact pairs are defined between the plate and each tool. During the study, the upper tool is progressively lowered on the sheet using an auxiliary sweep.

When I am computing the study without adding the friction, the study computes rather fast and without issues. However, this is not representative of reality as friction has a significant effect on the material flow.

When adding friction between the metal sheet and the tools, the study computes well up to a certain point where it never converges. It always seems to crash when the sweep parameter is about 0.6-0.65. I have tried refining the mesh, reducing the auxiliary step, raising the number of iterations, tried different solvers but I never managed to make it converge.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong with my model?

Thank you very much.

0 Replies Last Post Apr 23, 2022, 3:50 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Anthony Ouellet

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.