Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing inside a volume

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, please I need tips to mesh a part.

I have a cylinder in which i have holes. I want to apply specific meshing inside but i don't know how to do. I apply a "clip plane" but i can't select the edge of the clipped hole to apply a distribution.

Can you help please?

4 Replies Last Post Jun 27, 2022, 10:14 a.m. EDT

Posted: 2 years ago Jun 27, 2022, 8:34 a.m. EDT

A clip plane is just a visual aid, it does not modify geometry in any way, so putting a clip plane through your hole in order to refine the mesh at the intersection won't work. You will need to partition the domain using the geometry tools in order to create then select edges to which you wish to apply mesh refinement.

A clip plane is just a visual aid, it does not modify geometry in any way, so putting a clip plane through your hole in order to refine the mesh at the intersection won't work. You will need to partition the domain using the geometry tools in order to create then select edges to which you wish to apply mesh refinement.

Posted: 2 years ago Jun 27, 2022, 8:55 a.m. EDT

I have used a "partition domain" to divide my part into 2 and then while meshing I select "click and hide" so that i just get 1 domain. The problem is i can't hide. Inside my big cylinder i have kind of pipes that i want to mesh by distribution. The aim is to reach them.

>A clip plane is just a visual aid, it does not modify geometry in any way, so putting a clip plane through your hole in order to refine the mesh at the intersection won't work. You will need to partition the domain using the geometry tools in order to create then select edges to which you wish to apply mesh refinement. I have used a "partition domain" to divide my part into 2 and then while meshing I select "click and hide" so that i just get 1 domain. The problem is i can't hide. Inside my big cylinder i have kind of pipes that i want to mesh by distribution. The aim is to reach them.

Posted: 2 years ago Jun 27, 2022, 9:21 a.m. EDT

If you post your model then a solution will be much easier to propose...

FYI, you can switch on transparency and use the wheel on your mouse to roll and select "hidden" entities (points, edges, boundaries, domains, objects).

If you post your model then a solution will be much easier to propose... FYI, you can switch on transparency and use the wheel on your mouse to roll and select "hidden" entities (points, edges, boundaries, domains, objects).

Posted: 2 years ago Jun 27, 2022, 10:14 a.m. EDT
Updated: 2 years ago Jun 27, 2022, 10:16 a.m. EDT

If you post your model then a solution will be much easier to propose...

FYI, you can switch on transparency and use the wheel on your mouse to roll and select "hidden" entities (points, edges, boundaries, domains, objects).

Thanks I hink transparancy helps

>If you post your model then a solution will be much easier to propose... > >FYI, you can switch on transparency and use the wheel on your mouse to roll and select "hidden" entities (points, edges, boundaries, domains, objects). Thanks I hink transparancy helps

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.