Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how can I inject current in a coil?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a coil wound around a stator pole. Can anyone tell me or is there any notes on how to inject current in the coil?

Do I need a separate circuit for it or can i just define the current in the subdomain area?

Thanks..

5 Replies Last Post Feb 17, 2010, 4:47 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 14, 2010, 6:09 a.m. EST
Hi Amissa,

This can be done in the 'boundary settings' menu.

The input of your coil should have one boundary condition setup as a 'port' where you can select 'use port as an input Iin'. Then you can enter the amps required. The output of your coil should have a boundary condition setup as 'ground'. The remaining boundaries of your coil could be setup as 'insulation'.

I hope this helps.

David.
Hi Amissa, This can be done in the 'boundary settings' menu. The input of your coil should have one boundary condition setup as a 'port' where you can select 'use port as an input Iin'. Then you can enter the amps required. The output of your coil should have a boundary condition setup as 'ground'. The remaining boundaries of your coil could be setup as 'insulation'. I hope this helps. David.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2010, 5:45 a.m. EST
Hi David,
Thank you for your reply. I have tried to find where to set the input port in the 'boundary setting'. I do not know where can i set the input port or output port. The only choice that I can choose from the dropdown list is:surface current, continuity, magnetic potential, magnetic insulation, thin low permeability gap.

Do I have to define elsewhere before going into the boundary setting? PLease advice.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Amissa
Hi David, Thank you for your reply. I have tried to find where to set the input port in the 'boundary setting'. I do not know where can i set the input port or output port. The only choice that I can choose from the dropdown list is:surface current, continuity, magnetic potential, magnetic insulation, thin low permeability gap. Do I have to define elsewhere before going into the boundary setting? PLease advice. Thank you in advance for your time and help. Amissa

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2010, 7:17 a.m. EST
Hello

The "port" feature is rather recent in COMSOL, you might not have it, what is your version of COMSOL ?

As a general remark add a [V3.5a smsld] in the subject field and adapt the application name(s) to your case this helps us other to tailor our replies or to flag warnings, as COMSOL is really changing quite quickly, with V4 I bet that it will be diffcicult for several of us to "go back" to "old days".

Good luk
Ivar
Hello The "port" feature is rather recent in COMSOL, you might not have it, what is your version of COMSOL ? As a general remark add a [V3.5a smsld] in the subject field and adapt the application name(s) to your case this helps us other to tailor our replies or to flag warnings, as COMSOL is really changing quite quickly, with V4 I bet that it will be diffcicult for several of us to "go back" to "old days". Good luk Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2010, 3:56 p.m. EST
Hi there,

The version that I am using now is V3.5a

Is there any other way for me to go about injecting current in coil if I don't have that feature?

I will add the remarks to ease others to reply. Thanks.

Amissa
Hi there, The version that I am using now is V3.5a Is there any other way for me to go about injecting current in coil if I don't have that feature? I will add the remarks to ease others to reply. Thanks. Amissa

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 17, 2010, 4:47 a.m. EST
Hello!

You must look for port condition in "Electric Parameters" from "Boundary Settings" dialog box.

Lidia.
Hello! You must look for port condition in "Electric Parameters" from "Boundary Settings" dialog box. Lidia.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.