Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

About the time step setting of the solver

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

If I want to see two transient processes (the first process is about 10 microseconds, and the second process is about 10 seconds), how to set the time step of the solver. If you have any solution, I will be grateful.

6 Replies Last Post Mar 4, 2023, 11:03 p.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago Mar 3, 2023, 2:21 p.m. EST
Updated: 1 year ago Mar 3, 2023, 2:22 p.m. EST

You should be able to specify the time steps in sequential sequences, doing the first 10 microseconds in (for example) steps of 0.1 microseconds, followed by 10 seconds in 0.1 second steps (for example). The details of how well this will work likely depend on the details of your model. But I know that I have created models that start with short time steps and later switch to longer time steps. (Note that you will almost certainly have to set the time steps manually, rather than let Comsol try to figure them out for you.) I suggest you choose the "manual" option for your time stepping, although I suppose that "strict" might also work.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You should be able to specify the time steps in sequential sequences, doing the first 10 microseconds in (for example) steps of 0.1 microseconds, followed by 10 seconds in 0.1 second steps (for example). The details of how well this will work likely depend on the details of your model. But I know that I have created models that start with short time steps and later switch to longer time steps. (Note that you will almost certainly have to set the time steps manually, rather than let Comsol try to figure them out for you.) I suggest you choose the "manual" option for your time stepping, although I suppose that "strict" *might* also work.

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago Mar 3, 2023, 2:26 p.m. EST

I have done a similar thing to what Robert describes. Also note that you can apply a function to the step values. This makes it possible, for example, to have steps that depend exponentially on time, useful if you have some process that is roughly logarithmic in time.

Be sure to use Strict stepping.

I have done a similar thing to what Robert describes. Also note that you can apply a function to the step values. This makes it possible, for example, to have steps that depend exponentially on time, useful if you have some process that is roughly logarithmic in time. Be sure to use Strict stepping.

Posted: 1 year ago Mar 4, 2023, 9:26 a.m. EST

You should be able to specify the time steps in sequential sequences, doing the first 10 microseconds in (for example) steps of 0.1 microseconds, followed by 10 seconds in 0.1 second steps (for example). The details of how well this will work likely depend on the details of your model. But I know that I have created models that start with short time steps and later switch to longer time steps. (Note that you will almost certainly have to set the time steps manually, rather than let Comsol try to figure them out for you.) I suggest you choose the "manual" option for your time stepping, although I suppose that "strict" might also work.

Thank you.But I do not konw how to choose the "manual" option for my time stepping, and Where to choose strict?

>You should be able to specify the time steps in sequential sequences, doing the first 10 microseconds in (for example) steps of 0.1 microseconds, followed by 10 seconds in 0.1 second steps (for example). The details of how well this will work likely depend on the details of your model. But I know that I have created models that start with short time steps and later switch to longer time steps. (Note that you will almost certainly have to set the time steps manually, rather than let Comsol try to figure them out for you.) I suggest you choose the "manual" option for your time stepping, although I suppose that "strict" *might* also work. Thank you.But I do not konw how to choose the "manual" option for my time stepping, and Where to choose strict?

Posted: 1 year ago Mar 4, 2023, 9:36 a.m. EST

I have done a similar thing to what Robert describes. Also note that you can apply a function to the step values. This makes it possible, for example, to have steps that depend exponentially on time, useful if you have some process that is roughly logarithmic in time.

Be sure to use Strict stepping.

Thank you. My voltage is the AC signal, the sin function,V=50sin(2pi200t), and the viscosity of the fluid is the e index,0.05823+(1.27386-0.05823)*exp(-t[1/s]/23.022). Both functions contain time. The specific details of the time step are not very clear.

>I have done a similar thing to what Robert describes. Also note that you can apply a function to the step values. This makes it possible, for example, to have steps that depend exponentially on time, useful if you have some process that is roughly logarithmic in time. > >Be sure to use Strict stepping. Thank you. My voltage is the AC signal, the sin function,V=50*sin(2*pi*200*t), and the viscosity of the fluid is the e index,0.05823+(1.27386-0.05823)*exp(-t[1/s]/23.022). Both functions contain time. The specific details of the time step are not very clear.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago Mar 4, 2023, 11:18 a.m. EST

I've attached a picture. This example is unrelated to fluid dynamics, so do not assume any other settings shown apply in your case. Anyway, I encourage you to study Comsol's provided application examples and familiarize yourself with the best settings for various time-domain problems of relevance to you.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I've attached a picture. This example is unrelated to fluid dynamics, so do not assume any other settings shown apply in your case. Anyway, I encourage you to study Comsol's provided application examples and familiarize yourself with the best settings for various time-domain problems of relevance to you.

Posted: 1 year ago Mar 4, 2023, 11:03 p.m. EST

Thank you very much. Do you need to divide the research into two steps, the first steady state and the second transient state? My research questions: the first part is the transient change of the double electric layer, the second part is the velocity change of the fluid, both of which are related to time.

>I've attached a picture. This example is unrelated to fluid dynamics, so do not assume any other settings shown apply in your case. Anyway, I encourage you to study Comsol's provided application examples and familiarize yourself with the best settings for various time-domain problems of relevance to you. Thank you very much. Do you need to divide the research into two steps, the first steady state and the second transient state? My research questions: the first part is the transient change of the double electric layer, the second part is the velocity change of the fluid, both of which are related to time.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.