Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solution at Phase?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I am new in Comsol. I am just wondering if anybody knows what the "Solution at Phase" is used for, which is in Postprocessor>>General.

Thanks a lot for help!

3 Replies Last Post Aug 12, 2009, 7:58 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 31, 2009, 6:30 p.m. EDT
For frequency-domain problems (such as wave problems in electromagnetism or acoustics for example) the solution consists of information about one or more oscillating quantities. These quantities have magnitdue and phase. Often, it is useful to plot these quantities at specific phase angles of the oscillation in question.
For frequency-domain problems (such as wave problems in electromagnetism or acoustics for example) the solution consists of information about one or more oscillating quantities. These quantities have magnitdue and phase. Often, it is useful to plot these quantities at specific phase angles of the oscillation in question.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 31, 2009, 7:15 p.m. EDT
Hi

It is another way to access complex values, depending on your physics and your model you get complex variables with Real an Imaginary parts as results.

The Z=a+i*b = r*e^(i*Phy) are just two equivalent ways of expressing complex values.
if you want more take a search on "complex number Wolfram" or on "wiki" (I prefer Eric Weisstein's pages)

If you are a "beginner" you would probably not start with that chapter, so just use your solution at phase = 0 or the real values

But ist great for more complex issues, in structral damping, or for EM (electromagnetism)

Good luck
Ivar
Hi It is another way to access complex values, depending on your physics and your model you get complex variables with Real an Imaginary parts as results. The Z=a+i*b = r*e^(i*Phy) are just two equivalent ways of expressing complex values. if you want more take a search on "complex number Wolfram" or on "wiki" (I prefer Eric Weisstein's pages) If you are a "beginner" you would probably not start with that chapter, so just use your solution at phase = 0 or the real values But ist great for more complex issues, in structral damping, or for EM (electromagnetism) Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 12, 2009, 7:58 p.m. EDT
Thanks a lot!
Thanks a lot!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.