Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rod buckling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, colleagues

I'm a new user of comsol and I need to solve a easy task at first: buckling of a rod under pressure.
What kind of solver should I use to get both amplitude and wavelength of undulation? And I would like to compare an deformation energy with different wavelength.
I can make an eigenfrequency analysis and find possible wavelength, but I don't know how to find an amplitude of deformation.

1 Reply Last Post Apr 8, 2013, 5:18 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 8, 2013, 5:18 a.m. EDT
Hi

eigenfrequency analysis are a variant of free energy analysis and are normalised so displacements are only relative not absolute. Some sort of energy ratio of the different modes (relative again) can be obtained by studying the mass participation factors.

For buckling, that is a collapse so there is no limit, in displacement, so I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for here ;)

A time dependent solution can be done, if you turn on the large geometry deformations

In any case try first the buckling beam example in the model library

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi eigenfrequency analysis are a variant of free energy analysis and are normalised so displacements are only relative not absolute. Some sort of energy ratio of the different modes (relative again) can be obtained by studying the mass participation factors. For buckling, that is a collapse so there is no limit, in displacement, so I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for here ;) A time dependent solution can be done, if you turn on the large geometry deformations In any case try first the buckling beam example in the model library -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.