Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

thermal expansion vector in 2D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

which four components does the thermal expansion vector alpha in 2D-axial-symmetry for an anisotropic material have? (Coordinate system: r,z,phi)
I just found the 3D expression: ?vec = ?x ?y ?z 2?xy 2?yz 2?xz
Thanks,

C.Mannal

2 Replies Last Post Mar 5, 2010, 9:29 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 5, 2010, 8:32 a.m. EST
Hi

could you pls retype the formula with a standard font and some translation for the greek letters, as for me :

?vec = ?x ?y ?z 2?xy 2?yz 2?xz

is not really understandable ;)

But if it is the sigma "sr, sz. sphi srz, and Ent" you are looking after, the easist is to type in to the Elasticity tensor and the Thermal expansion tensro not numericalvalues but something like: D11 D12 D13 D22 D23 D33 D44 respectively T11 T21 T31 T41 and then look at the Model tree under "Equations Systems - Subdomain Settings - Variables ... (or the Physics - Equation System - Subdomain Settings - Variables) and study the formulas therein

Good luck

Ivar
Hi could you pls retype the formula with a standard font and some translation for the greek letters, as for me : ?vec = ?x ?y ?z 2?xy 2?yz 2?xz is not really understandable ;) But if it is the sigma "sr, sz. sphi srz, and Ent" you are looking after, the easist is to type in to the Elasticity tensor and the Thermal expansion tensro not numericalvalues but something like: D11 D12 D13 D22 D23 D33 D44 respectively T11 T21 T31 T41 and then look at the Model tree under "Equations Systems - Subdomain Settings - Variables ... (or the Physics - Equation System - Subdomain Settings - Variables) and study the formulas therein Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 5, 2010, 9:29 a.m. EST
I am sorry for the misspelling.

It is:

alpha_vec = alpha_x alpha_y alpha_z 2*alpha_xy 2*alpha_yz 2*alpha_xz

in 3D.

alpha is the thermal expansion.

Now I have a axial symmetric 2D coordinate system with r, z and phi.
The alpha vector is then given by 4 fields to fill in the subdomain section when anisotropic is chosen.

Which alpha (directions) are those four?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards.
I am sorry for the misspelling. It is: alpha_vec = alpha_x alpha_y alpha_z 2*alpha_xy 2*alpha_yz 2*alpha_xz in 3D. alpha is the thermal expansion. Now I have a axial symmetric 2D coordinate system with r, z and phi. The alpha vector is then given by 4 fields to fill in the subdomain section when anisotropic is chosen. Which alpha (directions) are those four? Thank you for your help! Best regards.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.