Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to mesh very thin films/ layers in MEMS switches? How to make use of scale geometry option in Meshing section?

Sarath Gopalakrishnan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to run electromechanical simulations on MEMS double clamped structure.
The problem I am facing is on meshing the thin features in the structure.
The top electrode and bottom electrode are each 2um thick. There is a dielectric layer of 5nm thickness on top of the bottom layer. There is an air gap of 2um. The width and height of the beam are 100um each. What is the best method to mesh this kind of a structure?
Thanks in advance.

2 Replies Last Post Jul 19, 2017, 2:39 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sarath Gopalakrishnan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 19, 2015, 1:02 a.m. EDT
Hallo Sarath...are you done soeve that prob.can you share with me

I want to run electromechanical simulations on MEMS double clamped structure.
The problem I am facing is on meshing the thin features in the structure.
The top electrode and bottom electrode are each 2um thick. There is a dielectric layer of 5nm thickness on top of the bottom layer. There is an air gap of 2um. The width and height of the beam are 100um each. What is the best method to mesh this kind of a structure?
Thanks in advance.

Hallo Sarath...are you done soeve that prob.can you share with me [QUOTE] I want to run electromechanical simulations on MEMS double clamped structure. The problem I am facing is on meshing the thin features in the structure. The top electrode and bottom electrode are each 2um thick. There is a dielectric layer of 5nm thickness on top of the bottom layer. There is an air gap of 2um. The width and height of the beam are 100um each. What is the best method to mesh this kind of a structure? Thanks in advance. [/QUOTE]

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 19, 2017, 2:39 p.m. EDT
Hi Sarath,

Did you figure it out? I have a model pretty much the same as yours and I cannot get a good enough mesh for it. Thanks for your sharing!
Hi Sarath, Did you figure it out? I have a model pretty much the same as yours and I cannot get a good enough mesh for it. Thanks for your sharing!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.