Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D eddy current modeling with COMSOL

Siegfried Vanaverbeke

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I built up a model in COMSOL of a laminated iron core in 2D as a magnetoquasistatic transient eddy current problem with perpendicular induction currents. To model the effect of the lamination in the orthogonal direction, associated terms have been added as source contributions to the flux in the general PDE form in the AC/DC module. I same some questions regarding the possibilities to compute the eddy current losses with COMSOL:

1. The varying conductivity in different regions of the model can be introduced as a damping term in the equations. However, I do not know how to call up this parameter in the general PDE form for use with the plotting tools.

2. To compute the eddy current loss, COMSOL needs to integrate the resistive loss over the surface of the iron core, but optionally, in case of a transient model, an additional integration with respect to time over one period of the applied current needs to be taken. Is COMSOL able to do this easily ? It is not obvious from the documentation.

Siegfried

0 Replies Last Post Mar 23, 2010, 10:52 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Siegfried Vanaverbeke

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.