Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary condition selection in simulating the surface plasmon resonance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Recently I started to simulate prism-coupling surface plasmon resonance. But I encountered a difficulty in selecting the boundary condition.

At the beginning I selected scattery boundary condition for all the outside boundary, and set one value of them into 1 as input side, and k vector to change the input angle. But the results do not match the numercial results obtained by matlab.

Later, I got reply from COMSOL support, and they changed the boundary condition into Port condition for input, and set the input power of 1W/m, and select Floquet Periodic condition for all the other boundaries except inner boundary and input-output ports.

Could anybody tell me how to distinguish the scattery boundary condition from Floquet periodic condition? When should I use scattery condition?

Thanks a lot.

The first attached file is the one I created, named spr-prism-1.mph.
The second one is from COMSOL.
According to the second one, I changed the first one into the third file, but the SPR is not correct. What is wrong then?

2 Replies Last Post Sep 7, 2010, 3:18 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ling Sieben-Xu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 9, 2009, 8:12 a.m. EST
Hi Ling,

could you please upload your files in .m format. I am using comsol v 3.5 and can not read your files.

thank you.
Hi Ling, could you please upload your files in .m format. I am using comsol v 3.5 and can not read your files. thank you.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 7, 2010, 3:18 a.m. EDT
I found the attached file (fresnel_parametric.mph) have two error
place. What do you think about that?
Firstly, the boundary condition of 5 and 6 should set to be k2x, k2y,
and not k2x, k1y.
Secondly, port 2 should set to be H0z=exp(-i*k2y*y), not exp(-i*k1y*y).
Thirdly, though I change the setup as above, the result uncharged still, why?
I found the attached file (fresnel_parametric.mph) have two error place. What do you think about that? Firstly, the boundary condition of 5 and 6 should set to be k2x, k2y, and not k2x, k1y. Secondly, port 2 should set to be H0z=exp(-i*k2y*y), not exp(-i*k1y*y). Thirdly, though I change the setup as above, the result uncharged still, why?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.