Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Drawing an array with large number of elements

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I have a problem in drawing an array of large number of elements. I want to draw large number of small cylinders( say 500, say 50 nm radius) on top of large cylinder( say 5 micrometer ) . I tried with the array option. It did what I want but then the software gave me an internal error in geometry decompositon. I am really glad if somebody Could help me with this problem.

Manjula

2 Replies Last Post Mar 31, 2010, 11:08 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 31, 2010, 2:32 a.m. EDT
Hi

I beleive you are asking for too much in one go for standard Java memory settings.

an array of 500x500 circles is some 250'000*4 arcs of 1/4 cercle, with 1M hard nodes just for the geoemtry, if you subdivide this into 8-16 elements per circle + surrounding you are up easily in 32-64 M_elements, with 8-9 DoF per element you get easily to 1G DoF about 500x more than my heaviest model

Is there no way to simplify somewhat your model ?, any symmetries, some physics to use ?

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I beleive you are asking for too much in one go for standard Java memory settings. an array of 500x500 circles is some 250'000*4 arcs of 1/4 cercle, with 1M hard nodes just for the geoemtry, if you subdivide this into 8-16 elements per circle + surrounding you are up easily in 32-64 M_elements, with 8-9 DoF per element you get easily to 1G DoF about 500x more than my heaviest model Is there no way to simplify somewhat your model ?, any symmetries, some physics to use ? Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 31, 2010, 11:08 a.m. EDT
Dear Ivar,

Thank You very much for your explanation. I will try to simplify my model.

Thanks again.

Manjula
Dear Ivar, Thank You very much for your explanation. I will try to simplify my model. Thanks again. Manjula

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.