Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

compression tests of amorphous materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to simulate compression tests using Comsol. The feature of material, which I would like to compress is that this material has many shear bands (10 nm in thickness) or nm- sized gaps. Is it possible to build this model in Comsol? To simulate compression, I need these inhomogenities (gaps, shear bands) to be interacted with each others. Will these gaps to propagate or to nucleate during simulation of compression ?

Also when I am doing compression with for example 20-30 small gaps, resolving is going well but when there are a lot of gaps for example more 100 - 1000 any errors is appearing (although geometry of sample recognizes in Comsol quite well (but not always))

Also error is appear with the meshing of gaps, if they has large difference in size). How to mesh in other way, or what do I need to avoid in geometry of my sample for avoiding mesh problem?

Best Regards,
Oleksii

0 Replies Last Post Apr 9, 2010, 4:38 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Oleksii Kuzmin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.