Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal stresses on capacitor.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol-fellow,

I'd like to ask your help in a model of a capacitor that I am trying to build, on a PCB board (ver 4.3b). I have designed the capacitor with the Ni electrodes and the dielectric ceramic material. I have designed the PCB board, on top of which the capacitor is placed. I want to see the thermal stresses under 120 degrees Temperature, where the capacitor with the PCB are put inside an 'oven' and the heat is tranfered through the air. Thereby, my question is, which boundbary condition is the best:

1. Use the 'Temperature 1' condition and apply the 120 degreees to all surface?

2. Use the heat flux condition, with the heat transfer coefficient ot air around 5-10?

3. Use another method?

My problem is that I have used the first two conditions and I have found von Misses stresses in the magnitude of 10e14!! But according to physics, the yield strength of my Ni electrodes it around 140 MPa!!!

I try to use the v.M.stresses for the failure criterion that the material failures when the v.M.stess exceeds the yiled strength, but I have a v.M.stress in the magnitude of teraPascal and the yield strength, of MPa!

Do you have any idea, what may be wrong and how can I reduce the v.M.stress of my capacitor to reasonable values?

Thank you alot beforehand.

Best regards

0 Replies Last Post Aug 13, 2014, 4:20 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.