Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

transient analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello,

i have a simple 2D axisymmetric model (rectangle) to model the temperature field inside a cylindrical target.
The target is submitted to a high energetic proton beam and it is possible to know the energy distribution inside the material from other simulations.
I am interested to see the time temperature evolution . The beam is pulsed for 4micro second every 20ms .(train of square pulsed of 4micro s and 20ms periodicity)
If i want to run a simulation over few seconds with a time step of 1micro second, there is a huge demand in memory.
Is there a way to minimize data production; or memory use?. At the end ; i only want to plot the temperature at some location over a period of time. (very large compare with the time duration of the pulse).

Regards

benjamin lepers

4 Replies Last Post Jul 29, 2011, 4:45 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 7, 2010, 8:46 a.m. EDT
If you are working in graphical mode then just use probe plots wherever you are interested in tracking temperature and reduce the output time steps for storing output. As per the manual (v3.5), probe plots are also functional in script if comsol is used with the matlab.

Otherwise, I don't know how it is possible. I have already placed a similar query to comsol's support.
If you are working in graphical mode then just use probe plots wherever you are interested in tracking temperature and reduce the output time steps for storing output. As per the manual (v3.5), probe plots are also functional in script if comsol is used with the matlab. Otherwise, I don't know how it is possible. I have already placed a similar query to comsol's support.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 7, 2010, 8:59 a.m. EDT
Hi

Are you sure your problem cannot be simplified as a one pulse response, and then you add them up, or do you really have non-linear couplings at this level requireing the 1us over several seconds detailed analysis.

At least I would start with one pulse for such a problem.

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Are you sure your problem cannot be simplified as a one pulse response, and then you add them up, or do you really have non-linear couplings at this level requireing the 1us over several seconds detailed analysis. At least I would start with one pulse for such a problem. Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 7, 2010, 10:56 a.m. EDT
Ok ;

thanks for your answers. I will try to find a way to solve it!

Benjamin
Ok ; thanks for your answers. I will try to find a way to solve it! Benjamin

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 29, 2011, 4:45 p.m. EDT
Hi,
I wonder if you were able to solve your problem ? It will really help me to know how if you did because I have a similar problem in the sense that I want to run a simulation over a few seconds with a pulse to pause ration of 0.1, while the pulse lasts for only 1e-8 seconds.
Thank you
Hi, I wonder if you were able to solve your problem ? It will really help me to know how if you did because I have a similar problem in the sense that I want to run a simulation over a few seconds with a pulse to pause ration of 0.1, while the pulse lasts for only 1e-8 seconds. Thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.