Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

natural convection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear
I would like to ask a question of natural convection
How to simulate a heating element within a closed system

regards

Chuck

1 Reply Last Post May 12, 2010, 5:09 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 12, 2010, 5:09 p.m. EDT
Hi

I beleive to remember you will find several examples in the heat transfer doc. But what do you really mean by "closed system" = no external exchange or known external exchange ?

If you have no external exchange, but you have an internal source it will heat up indefinitely, and only transient analysis could give some indications how it will behave from time 0.

But if you have known echanges (fixed temperature walls with a source term somewhere) then you can perform several analysis, still the transient would only give some indications of natural convection (this would be quite mesh dependent I assume). Again there are several examples int he doc, but I agree it takes some time to find them in there, there is a lot to read.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I beleive to remember you will find several examples in the heat transfer doc. But what do you really mean by "closed system" = no external exchange or known external exchange ? If you have no external exchange, but you have an internal source it will heat up indefinitely, and only transient analysis could give some indications how it will behave from time 0. But if you have known echanges (fixed temperature walls with a source term somewhere) then you can perform several analysis, still the transient would only give some indications of natural convection (this would be quite mesh dependent I assume). Again there are several examples int he doc, but I agree it takes some time to find them in there, there is a lot to read. Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.