Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electronics box with internal air thermal model?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I do more structural work than thermal work, but recently I've been searching for a forum post or an example model of a metal box containing air and some electronics. I can model a boxed region with an internal heat source and forced air flow. (COMSOL includes an example for that with the 4.0 release.)
I've also modeled a metal box containing stationary air and an internal heat source, but I just modeled conduction through the air. Perhaps in a fairly small box (less than a foot, or 30 cm) in size, with circuit boards and stuff inside, there's not enough room for convection to have much effect, and maybe the conduction model is good enough.
Does anyone know of an example where someone's modeled natural convection inside a closed region? Is the simple conduction approach used instead?
I'm thinking of building a simple test model for some measurements.
-Jeff

1 Reply Last Post Aug 31, 2010, 5:15 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jeff Lastofka

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 31, 2010, 5:15 a.m. EDT
Hello,

My name is Ziv Seemann and i too am trying to analyses a free convection flow in a closed space,
Im working on my model right now and when i finish something that can help you i will post it here.

Can you please share your model with me so i could see if it can help me learn something?
I have a model of free convection in an open space in 3D that I can't attached (6MB)
I can send it to your E-Mail if you want.

and for your question:
air has a Thermal coefficient of 0.03, for instense an insolating foam has 0.033,
not using a flow analyses will not give you the right results since air is a very good insulator you will something more insulating from insulating foam

Thanks!
Ziv Seemann
Hello, My name is Ziv Seemann and i too am trying to analyses a free convection flow in a closed space, Im working on my model right now and when i finish something that can help you i will post it here. Can you please share your model with me so i could see if it can help me learn something? I have a model of free convection in an open space in 3D that I can't attached (6MB) I can send it to your E-Mail if you want. and for your question: air has a Thermal coefficient of 0.03, for instense an insolating foam has 0.033, not using a flow analyses will not give you the right results since air is a very good insulator you will something more insulating from insulating foam Thanks! Ziv Seemann

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.